Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pop Culture Moment - American Idol is a Train Wreck

Did anyone watch American Idol last night? So..........I promised myself I wasn't going to watch it...I made it through the entire season last year w/ out watching one single episode...but my TIVO was set and somehow I have become sucked in once again...where do they find these people? And Why do I feel the need to waste my precious time and energy caring? If you are still even reading this blog- you must be watching- otherwise...this is not going to be the slightest bit interesting or entertaining....

Please see my re-cap (in my own words below)....

First of all- the show recaps all the the previous weeks in various cities w/ some good and bad auditions...most of which show Simon making constipation faces and Randy yelling out "go Dawg" and Paula looking drunk or high...and this new judge- Kara DioGuardi,who apparently has written songs for several past American Idol winners, is hard core! There seems to be the "guys vs girls" in judging and Randy agrees with whatever Simon says unless he is asked to give his opinion first, then it seems like Simon disagrees just to disagree...it's really getting quite stale, but yet- I still watch b/c for some reason- it's like a train wreck, I just can't turn it off or look away...why? I ask myself...why????

A few of the contestants that really stuck out last night are these 2 guys that are friends...
Jamar Rogers and Danny Gokey- the only thing that bothers me is that Danny- who is really good and is probably going to be in the top 12, keeps using his wife's death as "his story" and It annoys me to no end, that he is exploiting her in order to make a name for himself...the sympathy vote will only get you so far...he is talented, so he needs to let it go and just focus on singing...Paula basically jumped the table last night to make out w/ him- and told him that he was ready to start making babies...oops, I mean records! She needs to control herself...she gets "waaaaayyy to into these young guys when they start belting out tunes" Anyway...Both Jamar and Danny made it through to the next round...

A couple of others that I think are interesting - there is one guy that is not too sure of who he is...Nathaniel Marshall- he wears a headband- has tons of tats and likes to cry, but he can sing...so he's one to watch out for... There is a punker chick who decided to change her song at the last minute to a No Doubt song...it wasn't that great...but hey, the show has to have variety right? There is Bikini Girl- who actually put on a dress last night- who thinks she's a great country singer, but honestly, I think her looks are getting her through to the next round, Kara is not a fan, and I think Bikini Girl likes to intimidate...hey- at 21 we all had her body...her time is ticking...she'll be gone in a week or 2 at most. Another contestant, Anoop- is your typical Samir from Initech (Office Space)...who to look at is trying to be nerdy/ cool guy- but when he sings, you forget about his persona....I think the stylist for A.I. will get a hold of him and take him to the next "gangsta" level.

There was more to the show than I can recall- and I didn't really make any notes...but at this point...I'm selling out and guess I'll go ahead and watch the entire season- I promise not to keep writing about it until they get to the top 10 or 12....so if you are an Idol watcher, stay tuned for more Erica recaps...I'll try to make them interesting and put my perspective on it, so you can laugh...in the meantime, I'll write about more real life issues and more interesting topics...but how can you not make fun of reality/competition shows...these people just put themselves out there - and it's just too easy...it's like people watching...it's so fun and you just can't make this stuff up! Adios for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment